Life Without Barriers
Job no: 494392
Employment type: Part Time
Categories: Immigration Support Services
About the Organisation
Life Without Barriers is a leading social purpose, not for profit organisation of 7,000 employees working in more than 440 communities across Australia. We support children, young people and families, people with disability, older people and people with mental illness. We work with people who are homeless and refugees and asylum seekers.
We want to employ people who reflect the diversity of our clients to ensure we can support each client's individual needs and wants.
We encourage people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background and people with disability to apply.
About the role
The Employment Mentor will report to the Program Manager and will work to improve the employment and education outcomes for people seeking asylum.
You will support the operational teams to assess the English language levels of clients and engage suitable services to provide support to people seeking asylum to improve their English language skills in this area as well as provide planning and careers counselling, network with the sector partners to improve referral pathways and engage with local employers who value diversity to build a pool of suitable employers for referral.
- Adequately support people by offering clients information, education, advice, capacity and resilience building skills
- Build links with other sector partners to support people seeking asylum to gain English language skills and improve their employability.
- Assessment of clients for their literacy, oracy and numeracy skills.
- Development of an employment plan.
- Provide ongoing support within a culturally sensitive and culturally responsive framework
- Provide clients with the tools and skills required to transition to independent community living
- Develop and deliver skill building modules for use in group sessions and individual consultations
- Communicate and act in ways that are consistent with Life Without Barriers Values of Responsive, Imaginative, Courageous, Respectful and Relationships
Skills & Experience
- Degree qualification in Human Services or related discipline
- Current Drivers Licence
- Experience in working with partner and other sector services
- Experience in case work/management
- An in depth understanding of the employment sector
- Previous experience working with people from CALD backgrounds
- Strong case coordination skills and experience in the Human Services sector
- Knowledge of the Australian workplace and the issues which may face migrant and refugee youth in employment
- Previous experience in building relationships and working with people from diverse cultural backgrounds
- Demonstrated ability to support individuals, families and / or groups from a strengths-based and culturally appropriate perspective
- Well-developed written and verbal communication skills
- Work for one of the largest Social Purpose Organisations in Australia
- Training, ongoing support and career development opportunities
- Fantastic leadership and a supportive team
- Monthly rostered days off
Successful candidates will be required to clear probity checks including National Criminal History Record Check and Working with Children Check (where relevant to the role).
We are dedicated to playing our part to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and bring continuity of care and support to our clients. With this in mind, if you are successful, we will discuss with you an alternative to a face to face interview.
How to Apply
Include your resume and covering letter in one document, click ‘Apply’ and follow the prompts. For any enquiries including persons with disability that require adjustments, contact Tracy Donnarumma at [email protected]
Applications close at midnight on Thursday 9th July
Life Without Barriers supports the Royal Commission into violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation of people with disability. We believe people with disability need to be heard and for these experiences to influence how support services like ours are delivered. View our statement here (https://bit.ly/2GzZGWA)
Advertised: 30 Jun 2020 Cen. Australia Standard Time
Applications close: 09 Jul 2020 23:55 Cen. Australia Standard Time