Swinburne University of Technology
- Expressions of Interest for Global Innovation Linkage Project - Work with leading national and international industry partners
- Full time at our Hawthorn campus - $30,000 p.a. for 3.5 years
- Utilising Swinburne’s unique “Industry 4.0 Testlab for 3D Printing of Composites”
Utilise Swinburne’s unique ‘Industry 4.0 Testlab for 3D printing of Composites’ to develop a highly automated, flexible approach to the manufacturing process.
About the Scholarships
Carbon fibre composites are engineered materials which combine the strength and stiffness of carbon fibre with the toughness of an epoxy resin. These lightweight, high strength materials are undergoing an exponential growth in demand.
Working as part of the team on this project, you will contribute to developing a highly automated, flexible approach to the manufacturing process, leveraging Swinburne’s unique Industry 4.0 Testlab for 3D Printing of Composites. This will integrate a world first 3D fibre printing technology from Fill (Austria) with the Qure process from Quickstep (Australia) and digitalization will be supported by technologies from Plataine (Israel) and Siemens in partnership with ARENA2036 (Germany).
The scholarships are supported by our industry partners and the Australian Federal Government as part of our Global Innovation Linkage Project for Industry 4.0 Manufacturing of High Volume Light Weight Composites. Several Scholarships are available for PhD research in the area of automated additive manufacturing for advanced composite materials. These scholarships are part of our partnered PhD program with the University of Stuttgart and all candidates will have the opportunity to spend time in Austria and Germany. We specifically encourage PhD research proposals across several application areas including:
- Rapid cure thermoset resin systems
- Industry 4.0 manufacturing processes
- IoT enabling of manufacturing processes
- Robotically enabled in-line inspection
- Resin formulation and infusion
- Additive manufacturing for aerospace components
About Swinburne University of Technology
Swinburne is a multi-sector university of science, technology and innovation with more than 54,000 students and 5000 staff globally. Swinburne offers postgraduate, undergraduate, vocational education and online education to provide students with a variety of work-relevant pathways. The University’s mission is to be a world-class university, creating economic and social impact through science, technology and innovation. We aim to deliver future ready learners, research with impact and innovative enterprise.
Swinburne University of Technology has an ambitious goal of growth in research performance and impact, as set out in its 2025 Strategic Plan. Together, we’re working to position Swinburne as an internationally renowned institute in digital research, a digital disruptor and an accelerator of innovation.
To be successful in the role, you will have:
- A Bachelor degree (with First Class Honours) and/ or a Research Master’s degree in a discipline relevant to the research topic
- Where applicable, International English Language Testing System (IELTS) examination certificate with a minimum overall score of 6.5, with no individual band score below 6.0
- Enthusiastic and self-motivated person who meets the academic requirements for enrolment for a PhD degree at Swinburne University of Technology
- A background in research relevant to the project.
How to apply and further information
To start an application click on 'begin' at the bottom of this page and submit a resume and cover letter. For further enquires please contact Professor Bronwyn Fox (Director Manufacturing Futures Research) on [email protected] with the subject 'Global PhD Scholarship'.
If you are experiencing technical difficulties with your application, please contact the Recruitment team on [email protected]
Should you require further support for an interview due to special needs or consideration, please contact our Diversity Consultant, Dr Walter Robles, on [email protected] For support or queries related to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander employment, please contact [email protected]
Swinburne is a large and culturally diverse organisation. We are proud to be recognised by the Workplace Gender Equality Agency as an Employer of Choice for women for 10 years in a row and of key initiatives such as our [email protected] Strategic Action Plan and our Reconciliation Action Plan. Equity and diversity are integral to our 2025 vision to be a world class university creating social and economic impact through science, technology and innovation.
Applications will close when all candidates have been selected