Rocket Lab USA
Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,300 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,300 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard,
and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
This is a rare opportunity to play a key role in Rocket Lab’s evolution into an end-to-end space company that delivers launch, spacecraft, and on-orbit operations. The Space Systems Division is shaping Rocket Lab’s future with Photon, our brand of high-performance satellites, enabling innovative missions in low Earth orbit and beyond including missions for NASA to LEO, the Moon, and Mars and commercial customers, including leading the design and manufacture of 17 high-power telecommunication spacecraft buses for Globalstar.
Rocket Lab is also growing our spacecraft components business, anchored on the acquisition of Sinclair Interplanetary manufacturing reaction wheels and star trackers in Toronto, SolAero Technologies manufacturing solar power and primary structure solutions in Albuquerque, Planetary Systems Corporation manufacturing launch separation systems in Silver Spring,
and Advanced Solutions, Inc., provider of flight and ground software as a service in Denver. Our components business is key to vertically integrating our spacecraft solutions and enabling constellations for customers.
Enviornmental Health and Safety (EH&S;) Specialist II or III
The environmental health and safety (EHS) specialist is responsible for the company’s overall compliance with federal, state and local health, safety and environmental regulations. This includes the management of OSHA health and safety programs, policies, forms and training, and compliance with EPA hazardous waste management and permit reporting requirements. It is essential that the role be filled by individuals with excellent written and verbal communication, and computer program skills.
WHAT YOU’LL GET TO DO:
- Participates as an Incident Commander (IC) on the Emergency Response Team (ERT)
- Continuously expands EHS regulatory knowledge by reading the codes they are assigned to manage
- Completes all tasks necessary (physical exam, FIT test, training, clean-shaven) to wear a respirator, SCBA or air line
- Assists with management and training of the ERT
- Continuously improves on skills through EHS training and certifications
- Positions self as site expert in assigned EHS codes and is able to provide technical support
- Takes direction from the EHS Manager/Director, supports the EHS team and participates in cross-training
- Records and tracks assigned tasks, maintains organization, reads and answers emails daily
annual and biannual environmental reporting
YOU’LL BRING THESE QUALIFICATIONS – (Note: you must meet every qualification in order to be considered):
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental, safety, engineering, chemistry, biology; OR 7+ years of direct EH&S; specialist experience
- 1-2 years' experience with environmental reporting
- 1-2 years' experience with hazardous waste management
- Computer experience - Microsoft Outlook, WORD, Excel, PowerPoint software programs
THESE QUALIFICATIONS WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE:
- Detail-oriented, follows projects to completion, documents and files OSHA records
- Experience with chemical lab packing
- Ability to research EHS laws and regulations
- Knowledge of chemicals, acids, bases, solvents and toxics and important properties
- Ability to quickly assist with unique and challenging EHS precautions for new or existing processes
- Ability to train or schedule and coordinate training for diverse teams regarding EHS
- Ability to conduct audits, inspections, investigations and coordinate resolutions
- Manages hazard identification and ensures completion of corrective actions
- Responds to emergency incidents as part of a team and assists with incident investigation
- Trains or assists with training, monthly meetings and quarterly drills
- Acts as a safety ambassador with the employees
- Good verbal and written communication skills
PHYSICAL & ENVIRONMENTAL DEMANDS:
- Must be capable of frequent sitting and standing, walking, bending and stooping
- Must be capable of good vision and hearing capabilities
- Must be capable of working with chemicals and entering chemical and hazardous waste areas.
- Must be capable of working in environments with moderate noise levels
- Must be capable of entering a cleanroom
- Capable of moving a 55-gallon drum a drum dolly
- Capable of lifting a 40-Lb box and repeated lifting 10-Lb bottles
- Capable of wearing APR, SCBA and Air-Line respirators
- Capable of learning to operate a powered industrial truck (forklift) and pallet jack
- Capable of participating in emergency response operations
BENEFITS AND LOCATION:
- Relocation eligible to local area – Albuquerque, NM – depending on position
- 9/80 schedule
- Healthcare (medical, dental, vision)
- 401k match up to 3%
- 10 paid company holidays and 16 days of PTO
- Employee stock purchase plan (ESPP)
SolAero by Rocket Lab is based in Albuquerque (ABQ), in the heart of New Mexico. ABQ offers both affordability and easy access to the outdoors and rich cultural centers such as museums and art galleries. With almost 300 days of sunshine a year, but also proximity to secluded ski slopes, there’s something for everyone who loves the outdoors. You’ll also find plenty of opportunities to try authentic New Mexican cuisine – a delicious blend of traditional Native American foods mixed with roasted green chiles. Fun fact: ABQ is the hot air ballooning capital of the world! It’s for all these reasons and more that New Mexico is known as the Land of Enchantment.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S Department of State.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN NEW ZEALAND OFFICES ONLY:
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States' International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here ITAR Regulations.
▶️ Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) Specialist II or III
🖊️ Rocket Lab USA
📍 New Mexico