Illawarra Shoalhaven Local Health District
Employment Type: Permanent Part Time
Position Classification: Staff Specialist
Hours Per Week: 16 (0.4 FTE) – opportunity to job share if required
Requisition ID: REQ212245
Applications Close: 21 March 2021
The Illawarra Shoalhaven Local Health District (ISLHD) is seeking to employ an experienced Older Persons psychiatrist into a role which offers excellent opportunities to engage in high-demand private practice alongside the treatment of public patients. This permanent position provides security of tenure as well as the ability to strike an enviable work/life balance on the beautiful South Coast of NSW.
The Staff Specialist will be responsible for the day to day management of their clinical role primarily with the Community team, Older People Mental Health Services. The responsibilities include active participation in Morning Care coordination meetings, Medico- legal reports/MHA when required, Outpatient clinics, domiciliary visits and assessments in care facilities.
The Psychiatrist is responsible for the provision of specialist psychiatry services to inpatients and outpatients at the relevant Hospital.
The Psychiatrist will ensure provision of high quality psychiatry services to all patients within the Illawarra Shoalhaven Mental Health Service. This position is primarily based in Wollongong Hospital, however you may be required to attend other sites within our district.
The Psychiatrist will proactively:
- Support the development of psychiatry services
- Support and facilitate a culture of learning and best practice
- Support and develop mental health research within the department
The successful applicant will have a leadership role with opportunity to supervise registrars, contributions to therapeutic assessments, intervention and review processes, as well as providing clinical input to a small consultation and liaison component of the service. Participation in the consultant on-call roster is on a pro-rata basis and is supported by a cohesive group of experienced staff specialists. This care will be provided within the scope of practice endorsed by the ISLHD Medical and Dental Appointments Advisory Committee (MDAAC).
An eligibility list may be created for future Temporary/Permanent Full-Time and Part-Time positions.
Illawarra Shoalhaven Local Health District is committed to equal employment opportunity and embraces diversity and inclusion within the workforce. As such, people from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. This includes but is not limited to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, People with Disability, Women and People from Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Backgrounds.
Please note: Employment of a temporary visa holder may only occur if no suitable permanent resident or citizen of Australia has been identified for this position following suitable labour market testing. National Police checks will be undertaken on successful applicants. This position is designated as child related employment and you will be required to obtain a Working With Children clearance from the Office of the Children’s Guardian. To apply, please go to https://wwccheck.ccyp.nsw.gov.au/Applicants/Application#.
Successful applicants to the role must provide certified documentation of vaccination history and pathology as part of their recruitment documentation. The applicant must be certified as compliant with https://www1.health.nsw.gov.au/pds/ActivePDSDocuments/PD2020_017.pdf before employment can commence.
NSW Health does not require or accept the ‘Fit2Work badge’ offered as an option in eCredential.
For role related queries or questions contact Dr Dev Malayandi Lakshmanan or via email at [email protected]
Application enquiries: Katherine O’Connor, Workforce Support Officer. Ph: 02 4253 4735 or [email protected]
- Specialist registration or eligible for specialist registration as a Medical Practitioner with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA).
- Fellowship of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists (FRANZCP) and/or equivalent specialist recognition.
- Evidence of continuing medical education and self-monitoring/audit practices consistent with the scope of practice requirements of the position.
- Proven capacity and/or experience in the provision of effective high quality services, demonstrated through successful clinical practice in an environment appropriate to the requirements of the position including evidence of participation in quality improvement activities relevant to the specialty.
- Demonstrated commitment to teaching with experience in teaching both undergraduate and post graduate students and other staff of the hospital.
- Demonstrate the skills and attitudes appropriate as a Senior Medical Practitioner including modelling a high standard of professional behaviour to junior medical staff.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and harmoniously with medical and other health services colleagues as part of a multi-disciplinary health care team and demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with patients, colleagues, and staff and to work as an effective member of the clinical team across multiple sites.
- Demonstrated experience in and commitment to research relevant to the role and needs of the Department.
Need more information?
For role related queries or questions contact Dev Anand Malayandi Lakshmanan on [email protected]
Applications Close: 21 March 2021