Department of Premier and Cabinet
- Ongoing opportunity at Government House, Sydney
- If you have experience planning official activities, hospitality and international VIP visits, this roles for you!
About the Role
The Assistant Protocol Officer, provisions timely, protocol advice and support to the Governor, Governor’s spouse and Official Secretary in the planning and management of Vice Regal events, official engagements and liaison, calls by visiting dignitaries and ceremonial events, to ensure the delivery of professional and high quality services that meet Vice Regal standards.
Want to know more? Please refer to the Role Description.
We are looking for an individual who can:
- Coordinate and support arrangements for the Vice Regal official program, including visits to community and patronage groups, visits to focus regions, and ceremonial and diplomatic calls to the Governor and Governor’s spouse.
- Consult, liaise and negotiate with patronage and community organisations to plan and deliver Vice Regal events and ceremonial occasions held at Government House including the invitation and rsvp process.
- Undertake research and prepare event briefs, information and related documents to ensure the Governor and Governor’s spouse are fully apprised of all relevant issues.
- Accompany the Governor and/or Governor’s spouse at events to ensure protocol standards are upheld by providing advice on protocol matters, briefing the Vice Regal party prior to arrival at functions and coordinating timing and transport arrangements.
Required knowledge, skills and experience:
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of diplomatic conventions and protocol to ensure compliance and the delivery of appropriate services and events.
- Demonstrated experience and background in the planning and conduct of official activities, hospitality and VIP visitor procedures to ensure the delivery of professional and high quality services.
About Government House
Government House Sydney, the residence and the seat of administration of the Governor of New South Wales – the oldest statutory office in Australia - is staffed by employees of the NSW Department of Premier and Cabinet (DPC).
Collectively, the three functional areas ensure that every aspect of the Governor’s and spouses diaries of official engagements and liaison with the community is appropriately coordinated, managed and planned; that the official residence is suitably maintained; that the administrative arm of the organisation operates in accordance with relevant policies and guidelines; and that the buildings, contents and grounds are managed and presented to the highest standard.
Interested in applying?
Applicants are required to submit an online application. This must include:
- an up-to-date resume which clearly details your relevant skills and experience (maximum 5 pages)
- a cover letter (maximum two pages) including your response to the two targeted questions below:
- Describe the steps you took to identity or understand a complicated problem that you had to deal with to do your job?
- Tell me about a time when it was challenging to deliver to an agreed timeline/schedule. Why was it challenging and what did you do?
The selection process may include a range of assessment techniques to assist hiring managers in determining your suitability for the role.
Candidates can request a reasonable adjustment throughout each step of the recruitment process. If you require a reasonable adjustment to the recruitment process, please note this in your application.
A recruitment pool may be created from this recruitment action for ongoing and temporary roles for this role or similar roles that may become available over the next 18 months.
Salary: Clerk Grade 5/6. ($85,744- $94,610) plus superannuation and leave loading.
Closing date: Monday, 17 May , 2021 (11:59 PM)
For enquiries regarding this role, please contact Luke Fairbrother, Manager, Protocol via (02) 9228 4138 or email [email protected]
If you run into any technical difficulties with your online application, contact I Work for NSW Support at [email protected] or 1800 562 679.
About the Department of Premier & Cabinet (DPC)
To learn more, please visit our website: http://www.dpc.nsw.gov.au/about/about_the_department
Why work for DPC?
We put the people of NSW at the heart of everything we do, to deliver better services, drive government priorities and foster a culture of respect.
Our people undertake challenging, innovative and rewarding work, across metropolitan and regional locations, to deliver better outcomes for the communities of NSW. In achieving this, we are guided by our core values of integrity, trust, service and accountability. We are also committed to empowering our people with opportunities to learn, grow and adapt within an inclusive and supportive environment.
We endeavour to make all our roles flexible and encourage conversations on flexibility on an “if not, why not” basis, including work location. While this role is advertised as full-time, we will consider requests to undertake the work flexibly.
We welcome and encourage applications from diverse backgrounds, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, LGBTI+, people with disability, people with caring responsibilities, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, veterans and those living in regional locations.